[postgis-users] function addgeometrycolumn does not exist

cummings peter at cummings.dk
Tue Jan 1 17:42:14 PST 2008

Hi There

I'm pulling my hair out with a problem, and I hope someone can help me...
I'm on a ubuntu gutsy server, with postgres 8.2 and postgis installed
through apt-get.

Now when working with the database, it now tells me that the functions do
not exist:

test=# select AddGeometryColumn('public','navaids','geom',32611,2);
ERROR: function addgeometrycolumn("unknown", "unknown", "unknown", integer,
integer) does not exist
LINE 1: select AddGeometryColumn('public','navaids','geom',32611,2);
^
HINT: No function matches the given name and argument types. You may need to
add explicit type casts.

------
However when I list my functions using \df this is a snippet of what i see:
public | addgeometrycolumn | text | character varying, character varying,
character varying, character varying, integer, character varying, integer
public | addgeometrycolumn | text | character varying, character varying,
character varying, integer, character varying, integer
public | addgeometrycolumn | text | character varying, character varying,
integer, character varying, integer

So the function should be in there, when I try other postgis functions like
pointfromtext, it works..

lwpostgis.sql and spatial_ref_sys.sql have been imported, and I'm also tried
creating a database using template_postgis.

Version info:
test=# select postgis_full_version();
                               postgis_full_version