[postgis-users] PostGIS Jobs - UK, Worldwide

William Temperley willtemperley at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 02:58:42 PST 2008

Hi Alex

I currently have three clients in the UK for whom I am developing
systems based on PostGIS.  These are all web mapping systems, and in
each case I have had to persuade and convince them PostGIS was the
best choice.

For one I developed a prototype routing system using PGRouting, which
may be used on a large scale in the future.  They turned round to me a
few days ago and said they'd prefer to use MySQL!  I think this is
because there are more people with MySQL skills out there.

Unfortunately, I think there is a lack of understanding and mistrust
with FOSS GIS in the UK. During my masters degree in GIS, FOSS was not
even mentioned.  There is also the issue of poor between PostGIS and
ArcGIS or MapInfo.  I've often had to explain why MySQL with regard to
spatial analysis is in the dark ages compared with PostGIS.

So Alex, you need to spread the word!  Take contracts and show people
why they don't need a £50k pa ArcServer installation.

Cheers

Will