[postgis-users] Geocode opinions

easpengren phat-ass at thinkheavyindustries.com
Fri Jan 11 16:53:25 PST 2008

I'm in the process of working out a way of geocoding using parcel shape data
that I got from my local planning department. It's very nice, if very data
specific, I wish I could share it. I will if anybody is interested, but it's
not likely to scale to other applications.

I've dumped the parcel data into PostGIS and I'm dumping the data of people
who live in the area into the same database. I plan to do a pretty simple
join between the two tables (with address data) and insert the geometry data
from the parcels into the people table.

Now I'm wondering, should I insert a centroid or PT_onsurface point from the
parcels? Or is their a better option?

Eric Aspengren