[postgis-users] Compilation error

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at ilande.co.uk
Thu Jan 31 08:47:18 PST 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 18:12 +0530, Omkaranathan wrote:
> Hi,
> It will be great if somebody can suggest where I can get help from.
>
> Thanks
> Om

Hi Om,

This is my fault... looking at CVS, it looks as if the new code in 1.3.2
to check for a local PROJ.4 share directory won't work on PostgreSQL <
8.0.

I'll see if I can find some time to fix this, however I would highly
recommend downloading and compiling the latest release from
www.postgresql.org (currently 8.2.6) for the following reasons:

i) 7.4 is old. Very old. The statistics code for PostgreSQL < 8.0 is
unsupported and won't join selectivity won't work.

ii) 7.4.8 does not contain the latest bugfixes - the latest release from
www.postgresql.org is 7.4.19 so if you really really feel you have to
run 7.4 then you should at least make sure you avoid data loss caused by
previous bugs.

ATB,

Mark.

--