[postgis-users] MacPorts/PostGIS - Installation in different Schema

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Thu Jan 31 10:44:49 PST 2008

Hi Stefan,

As far as I know, following other PostgreSQL contrib modules, PostGIS
currently only installs in the public schema (unless someone has put
some work into this).  As I mentioned, this is the same for most other
contrib modules, like tsearch2, btree_gist, or cube.  So, if ever you
wanted to install other PostgreSQL extensions, their functions /
datatypes / tables would also install in public, getting mixed up with
tables/functions you've defined there.

The solution here is simple.  As a best practice, reserve the public
schema for contrib modules, storing user-defined tables / functions /
objects in user-defined schemas.  Following this best practice also
makes upgrading PostGIS significantly simpler since you can simply dump
and restore your user-defined schema (rather than hunting through the
public schema trying to determine which functions are yours, postgis's,
cube's, tsearch2's, etc.)

Cheers,
Kevin

Kevin Neufeld