[postgis-users] Is CIRCULARLINESTRING ready for use?

Markus Schneider schneider at lat-lon.de
Tue Jul 1 13:44:57 PDT 2008

Hello,

I am interested in the SQL-MM Part 3 geometries, especially CIRCULARSTRING.

Playing a bit around I noticed the following:

- Storing and retrieving of CIRCULARSTRING instances seems to work fine
- Spatial predicates (I tested ST_Intersects) don't seem to be supported yet
- Index based queries (&&) seem to work

My questions:

1. Do you think that it is already feasible to use PostGIS for an
application that stores large quantities of geometries(that sometimes
contain arcs (circular linestrings)? Do you consider these functions stable?
2. Is there a plan or an assumption when support for spatial predicates
(especially intersects) will become available?
3. Will the && operator (the spatial index) produce reliable results for
all configurations of CIRCULARSTRING? I suppose that this is not
completely trivial, as it is probably not enough to just store the bbox
of all arc points in the index, is it? Do you consider the && operator
for arcs ready?

Best regards and thanks in advance,

--
Markus Schneider

l a t / l o n  GmbH
Aennchenstrasse 19            53177 Bonn, Germany
phone ++49 +228 18496-0       fax ++49 +228 18496-29
http://www.lat-lon.de         http://www.deegree.org