[postgis-users] Transform overlapping polygons to non-overlapping?

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Jul 11 10:26:57 PDT 2008

Brent,

I guess it really depends on how exactly you want to achieve non-overlapping.
If for example you are basing it on some sort of attribute and all your overlapping polygons are valid

Then a simple

SELECT ST_Union(the_geom) As newgeom, field1
FROM sometable
GROUP BY field1

I think will guarantee non-overlapping polygons because as part of the process of ST_Union - it would irradicate the overlapping regions to just create one.  That is part of the reason why its so much slower than ST_Collect for example.

For your exact case below - you would union all the overlapping polygons together which could be really slow depending on how many overlap. The query I would write to achieve that would be something like this

SELECT MAX(a.gid) As newgid, ST_Union(a.the_geom) As the_geom
FROM poly a
GROUP BY (SELECT MAX(r.gid) FROM poly r
   WHERE (a.gid = r.gid OR ST_Overlaps(r.the_geom, a.the_geom)));

Hope that helps,
Regina