[postgis-users] Compare SQL Server 2008 Spatial, PostGIS, MySQL functionality

Paragon lr at pcorp.us
Thu Jul 17 21:21:29 PDT 2008

Actually I'm all confused about how the geography thing works.  I always
thought you would just stuff 4326 in there and it would just use an
elliptical model.  Reading further it seems you can use any valid spatial
ref and measurements are always in meters.  But then the Books OnLine are
especially confusing because it seems to suggest you can only use
ST_Distance between a point and another geography type which would make it
just a tad bit better than the Postgis distance spheroid functions.  The
SRIDs also apparently need to match.  I think we'll need to test this one
out since I'm still unclear what exactly it does with the SRID.  Seems to me
it would only need it for loading data.

Below is the BOL documentation on ST_Distance for geography

STDistance() always returns null if the spatial reference IDs (SRIDs) of the
geography instances do not match.

Distance can only be determined between a point and another geography
instance. This method will return null if at least one of the instances is
not a point.

In addition, if STDistance() is used to determine distance between antipodal
points, or consecutive points on opposite sides of the globe, as in the
distance between POINT (0 0) and POINT (180 0), this method will return
null.