[postgis-users] encoding and german umlaute

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Jul 28 10:08:01 PDT 2008

Judging from the gook you're getting in your second example (two
characters for every hibit character) the database probably has the
data encoded as UTF-8.

- If your database encoding is UTF8 (use psql -l for a listing of
databases) then the problem is Manifolds fault... for some reason it's
receiving UTF8 but interpreting it as LATIN1.  If you can tell it to
"set client_encoding = latin1" somehow, that might help. Otherwise,
complain to them, they should set their client encoding correctly as
part of their interaction with the database.
- If your database encoding is SQL-ASCII then the problem is your
fault... you've loaded encoded data but not specified the encoding, so
the software, both PgSQL and Manifold, can't create a nice processing
chain to ensure it is rendered correctly. Correct renderings of your
data can sometimes happen, but only by chance. In this case, dump your
data and restore it into a UTF8 database.

P.