[postgis-users] Postgis installation - Trouble with 'make check'

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Fri Jun 20 08:38:11 PDT 2008

I'm using 1.3.3 PostGIS and 3.0.0 GEOS. I built them on a freshly
installed Fedora Core 9 system with server and desktop options fully
loaded. As for PostgreSQL 8.3.3, Proj4.6.0, gdal 1.5.2, PostGIS 1.3.3
and GEOS 3.0.0, none of these are updates; everything is newly installed
on a new, freshly-formatted disc. I built geos completely as su
(assuming that the '#' in the spartan instructions was significant), and
I built PostGIS under the postgres user account (because I don't see how
you can build it under any other account and run 'make check' as
postgres as per the instructions without getting all sorts of
'permission denied' errors).

However, there was an issue with geos during the build that may be where
the problem lies. FC 9 now comes with gcc 4.3.0, and apparently there
have been some changes in the include files. When I first tried to build
GEOS, it failed with errors like 'memcpy' not defined and 'strtod' not
defined. So I got a patch (see attached) that came from a Gentoo forum
and applied it to the source code, and that seemed to do the trick.

But it may have introduced something that it shouldn't have, and it
doesn't fix the errors in at least one of the test modules. If 'make
check' for PostGIS needs one of those GEOS test modules, that may be a
problem too. Unfortunately I have no way to tell if it's a good patch or
a bad patch because I don't know how to read a diff file.

I'm still pretty green when it comes to building from source, so
admittedly I'm not all that sure I know what I'm doing, but since I want
an integrated database and map server with postgis and geos support and
file translation support for MapInfo it seemed that my only option was
to build everything from scratch. So it's also possible that I've made
some mistakes.

But I think that somebody who knows the code is going to have to take a
look at GEOS and GDAL source some time and check that it compiles with
gcc 4.3.0 (it won't currently). And for now I've just skipped the make
check step and went on to make install, and so far things seem to be
working anyway (but I haven't really tested it very hard yet, either.)
For now I'm going to move on and start populating my database, but if
anyone has any ideas what I should try, or has any suggestions, it won't
bother me to rebuild this all over again if I can be assured that I can
get a flawless install. This is an experimental project at the moment
and the machine isn't used for anything critical yet, so I'm not gripped
about trying things on it.

- Bill Thoen