[postgis-users] Postgresql 8.3 on windows and geomunion

Sanglant sanglant at mchsi.com
Tue Mar 4 19:56:14 PST 2008

On Monday 03 March 2008 21:33:26 Bogumil Szady wrote:
> Hi Postgis-Users,
>
> I have problem with postgresql 8.3 (postgis included), and the function
> *geomunion*. When I use this function in my linux version (8.2)
> everything works fine. I would like to union polygons from my view
> "granice_view" into new view "dekanaty".
>
> CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW "public"."dekanaty" (
>   gid,
>   dekanat,
>   the_geom)
> AS
> SELECT min(g.gid) AS gid, g.dekanat,
>   geomunion(g.the_geom) AS the_geom
> FROM granice_view g
> GROUP BY g.dekanat;
>
> This query works well on posrgresql 8.2 with postgis, but in the newer
> version 8.3 I have the alert "OPERATION ON MIXED SRID GEOMETRIES". I
> don't understand why - all srid numers in the "geometry_columns" are the
> same and correct. Is that postgresql 8.3 error?
>
> Bogumil

I've run into the same problem, plus a few others that didn't show in 8.2,
using postgresql 8.3.0 along with PostGIS 1.3.2 on MS Windows.  I not
familiar enough to write a self-contained sql test case so I'll try and
describe what I'm seeing and hope for the best.

On the initial install everything seems to go well except plpythonu fails to
install due to an inability to find the dll which, after the install, is
present in the /lib directory.

To familiarize myself with PostGIS I tried running through Boston GIS's
tutorial at http://www.bostongis.com/?content_name=postgis_tut01#20 and hit
an error when trying to run shp2pgsql.  The executable looks for
libiconv-2.dll which, while the correct file name for 8.2, in 8.3 the file
is name libiconv2.dll. Creating a copy with the 8.2 naming style appears to
fix the problem.

Executing the sample statement "select area(geomunion(the_geom)) from towns
where town = 'BOSTON';" gives an "ERROR: Operation on mixed SRID geometries
SQL state: XX000".  Running a quick "select distinct srid(the_geom) from
towns;" shows that all rows are set to srid 26986.

Brad