[postgis-users] ERROR: relation "geometry_columns" does not exist

Sam Boggess sboggess at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 23:23:21 PST 2008

I've been using shp2pgsql successfully on a freebsd platform for awhile now.
I'd then take the the .sql file I out put and run it as a batch file on PG
Navicat.  I was doing a bunch of these and all of a sudden I started getting
this error:

Error at query 3: ERROR:  relation "geometry_columns" does not exist
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "DELETE FROM geometry_columns WHERE
		f_table_catalog = '' AND f_table_schema = 'public' AND f_table_name =
'cottonwood_wa' AND f_geometry_column = 'the_geom'"
PL/pgSQL function "addgeometrycolumn" line 102 at execute statement
SQL statement "SELECT AddGeometryColumn('', $1 , $2 , $3 , $4 , $5 , $6 )"
PL/pgSQL function "addgeometrycolumn" line 4 at SQL statement

I've gone back and tried to redo some that worked previously and they get
this error now too.  I tried restarting PG, but no luck.  Any help would be
greatly appreciated.  This is very frustrating!