[postgis-users] Filtering Points Based On Proximity

Chris Hermansen chris.hermansen at timberline.ca
Mon Mar 24 08:25:03 PDT 2008

Hi Oliver;

You have a couple of interesting suggestions already, so I feel it's
fair game to ask YOU a question!

Are you sure you don't want to use kriging to solve this problem?
Here's a reference in case you're interested:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kriging

The nice thing about kriging - if its use is justified, and you should
not use it if it isn't; see the comments about F-test in the article
above - is that it doesn't throw away points while selecting an
arbitrary one from a close grouping.  In your statement of the problem,
there's a 1/m chance of keeping the "worst" representative height out of
a group of m points within your search radius.  Kriging doesn't have
that problem.