[postgis-users] Job posting: Spatial Economic Software Developer (Open Source)
jabraham at ucalgary.ca
Mon May 12 15:41:54 PDT 2008
Attached is a revised version of our job posting.
If anyone has suggestions for other mailing lists where this should be
posted, please let me know.
Job Posting: Spatial Economic Software Developer
*Career Level: **Dependent on Qualifications***
*_ Job Summary_**_:_*
*__*HBA Specto Incorporated is a developer of spatial economic modelling
software used for forecasting future spatial growth patterns and
analyzing policy regarding transportation, land-use, energy and the
environment. HBA's clients are city and regional governments, US state
governments and university research programs and institutes.
This position involves the development, release and support of our
open-source spatial economic modelling software. You should be
interested in software development, system administration, and/or
client-support responsibilities for a small and growing specialty
software and consulting company.
The responsibilities of the job depend upon your abilities and
experience, will include some or all of:
· Develop embedded GIS algorithms using PostGIS and/or ArcGIS
· Develop and improve JDBC and Hibernate access to database from
· Develop map server for viewing model spatial outputs and
manipulating model spatial inputs
· Develop web app for control of model runs
· Manage bug-tracking and feature-tracking system, daily builds,
install scripts, and branching/tagging of code
· Improve and maintain a spatial economic short-run modelling
system that solves a system of non-linear equations for a current or
· Improve and maintain a simulation of developer behaviour that
manipulates a cadastral database of land parcels simulating construction
over 30+ years.
· Purchase/install server and desktop computers
· Manage public server for subversion, corporate home page, and
· Manage shared project document and data directories (using
rsync, unison and/or subversion)
· Assist with selecting and managing administration software
(timesheets, project management, expense tracking)
· Manage remote VPN access to servers
· Review user contributions to code base
· Provide install and configuration support
· Work with client IT staff to coordinate hardware configurations
· Work with client IT staff to coordinate VPNs
· Manage user mailing list/forum.
You should possess a science or engineering degree, with relevant
software development experience and/or education. You should have
experience in an Agile Software Development process. You should have
software engineering/software architecture experience and also be an
efficient code writer with an ability to quickly produce useful software.
You should understand object-oriented development and parallel
programming. You should be well versed in mathematics and statistics,
with an interest in optimization algorithms and other numerical
algorithms and data structures. Experience in scientific programming
and/or geographical databases is an asset.
Our current IT technology includes:
· Quantum GIS
· SQL Server
· Unix-type operating systems (e.g. Linux, BSD, Mac OSX)
· Web servers (especially Apache)
· Web application frameworks (e.g. PHP)
· Parallel programming
· Media wiki
You should be interested in transportation planning and/or city
planning, should believe that public policy can make a difference in the
world, and should believe in the power of analysis tools to inform
public policy debates.
The position is located in Calgary, a city of 1 million people, and the
principle city in southern Alberta. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary.
Salary will be appropriate for qualifications.
To apply, send a resume and a cover letter stating why you are
interested in the position to:
jea at hbaspecto.com <mailto:jea at hbaspecto.com>
Applications received after May 19^th 2008 might not be considered. All
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to age, handicap, religion, creed or belief, political
affiliation, race, colour, sex or national origin.
jea at hbaspecto.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 44032 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the postgis-users