[postgis-users] Newbie questions: SRIDs, function return values

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Thu May 15 08:58:32 PDT 2008

Bruce,
Your point is well taken, but I suppose that I misrepresented my real
interest.  While it is nice to provide functions that will *just work*
for people who don't know what they are doing, this type of function is
also quite useful for people who are writing software, and looking for a
way to increase the robustness of the application, without having to
hardwire a bazillion contingencies into it.

So really, even thought the original question was something like "why
does area return this tiny number??", your question of the students is
not really applicable to my own concern.  I KNOW the answer to the first
question, and by using either Pauls st_utm function, or my hypothetical
st_distanceUnits function requires that you implicitly understand that
you at least *may* have different projections.

Robert W. Burgholzer
Surface Water Modeler
Office of Water Supply and Planning
rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov