[postgis-users] Finding/Categorizing Paths from A to B

sub3 steve at subwest.com
Sat May 17 14:22:29 PDT 2008

Hi,

I hope someone can share some ideas for an approach.

I have a bunch of data for driving from point a to b and b to a (home &
work).
It is GPS data, so it is lat/lon & speed.  I am trying to see what
the data says about me, i.e. optimized time, least time waiting,
total milage, etc.

What I don't have is any indication of what paths I took, so I
have no idea how to average several trips / path.  From my own
thoughts, there has to be many distinct paths; but finding them seems
to be a very hard problem (no silver bullet), so I know I'll be
doing a lot of hard work.

But, here is current thoughts for an approach:

-Find an area for each type of path that the other paths don't
go near (perhaps an intersection, town, road, etc).  This would allow me to
mark/name that type of path, then move on to the rest.  As I am mixing path
segments, this doesn't seem to work well.

-Given the first path x, find each point in y, to the line in x. Find the
total distance away per points.  Determine some cutoff point to determine
if x is really y.  If not y becomes its own path (which will then be
compared to the other path).

Has anyone done something like this that they can share their approach, or
can think of an easier/better way?

Thanks all.