[postgis-users] 3D index in postgis

Kevin Neufeld kneufeld at refractions.net
Tue May 20 08:40:23 PDT 2008

a1001800 wrote:
> Thanks Kevin,
>
> It looks like ~= not invoke the index.

That's why I suggested the && operator as well.  It does use the index.

> Do we have a way to deal with an index with third value?
> For example, point (x, y) and userid
>
> I need to do a query like "select point(x,y) from table where point in
> rectangle and userid=xxx"

Sure.  Add the userid=xxx to your filter list like you were doing.
ie.
SELECT ST_MakePoint(x,y)
FROM mytable
WHERE geom && <insert rectangle geom here>
AND userid = xxx;

You can additionally add an ST_Contains() filter if you need to have
your points exactly inside the rectangle.

-- Kevin