[postgis-users] geometry types

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue May 20 17:44:10 PDT 2008

Karina Guardado wrote:
> Frank Warmerdam escribió:
> You know I have just found out the follow information:
>
> 1.from the 1.2.0 release of PostGIS there is support for "curve"
> /types/, and initial support for the ISO SQL/MM suite of spatial
> database functions

Karina,

I maintain that curve is not a concrete type in any version of
simple features or SQL-MM that I'm aware of.  Of course even LINESTRING
is a kind of curve, and the CIRCULARSTRING is also a kind of curve.

> 2.(from the list)We made a patch to add such new geometries to PostGIS.
>
> It implements TIN and POLYHEDRALSURFACE as described in
>
> OGC SFS1.2 standard.
>
> These geometries are specific MULTIPOLYGON that
>
> describe 3D surfaces and 3D volumes.

I just grepped the PostGIS 1.3.3 source tree quite widely for
"polyhedral" with no hits.  I would suspect the mentioned patches
never made it into the standard distribution.

> So after reading this I feel confused if this geometry types are really
> supported or not and I think it is not clear still for me, I would like
> to know if there is an official documentation but updated with the last
> geometry types supported by Postgis.

Indeed, I'd be interested in hearing if I'm wrong.  I am mostly just
basing my answer on having read the docs which could obviously be
out of date or inaccurate.

Best regards,