[postgis-users] geometry types

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue May 20 22:48:13 PDT 2008

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 10:31 PM, Karina Guardado <kguardado at gmail.com> wrote:

> At first reading I thought that Postgis support all of the features types
> specified in the OGC geometry model. But now as you explained me there is
> not support for all of this then could you please explain me about this
> compliant if this mean that you support only some but not necessary all and
> then you get the compliant.

Compliant as of SFSQL 1.1.  I'm not sure what OGC are going to do for
compliance testing for 1.2, since they haven't updated their test
suite.

> In fact I'm doing a research in the university about the simple feature
> access and a comparison with the different spatial databases:
> postgres(postgis), oracle, mysql , db2 . So I need to be really clear
> respect to this because I don't want to publish something that is not true
> so I 'm really thanks for your help. When I finish the document I will sent
> you a copy.

Unless you actually run the databases and try them in detail, your
study will be pretty sterile. I have seen a large number of these and
they all consist of trolling the documentation and rarely testing the
actual functionality.

Want to do something interesting? See what Oracle Spatial does when
you run the tests in the JTS test suite through it.