[postgis-users] PostgreSQL/PostGIS and ArcGIS Server 9.3

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Fri May 23 11:13:03 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:05 AM, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au> wrote:

>> In general, if you restrict yourself ot reading with 3rd party tools
>> and writing with ESRI tools, or non-ESRI tools working through the SDE
>> API, you should be safe.
>>

> So how much of the API is published?  My (very limited) understanding is
> that it's not quite simple, but how complex can it really be to
> implement an abstraction layer that allows open source clients to act
> like ArcGIS clients (full read/write)?

The SDE client API all published, and Geotools in particular has
worked on having a pretty complete support for it. Recent work has
even been looking at supported versioned edits to SDE in Geotools.
Unversioned edits have been supported for some time.  The only hidden,
non-technical, downside is that the SDE license manager only allows 5
non-ESRI clients to connect by default, so you have to be judicious in
what you connect to the server.