[postgis-users] sync geometry with attributes

John Callahan john.callahan at UDel.Edu
Fri May 23 12:48:34 PDT 2008

Please excuse my question if it seems too trivial.  I am just getting
started with PostGIS and couldn't quite find what I was looking for.

For a point data set, it is common for us to store the lat/long (or
easting/northing) as attributes in the table. (Some programs we have
require this.)  However, when I edit the position through a GIS (like
QGIS), the spatial location is altered but obviously not the
attributes.  And when these attributes are altered in the table, the
geometry is not updated, obviously.   Is there a way to keep these
synchronized?  Is this built into PostGIS?

Thanks for your help.  Even is you don't know how this could be done, is
it possible?

- John

John Callahan
Geospatial Application Developer