[postgis-users] SRID and EPSG

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Mon May 26 10:05:54 PDT 2008

Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> The spatial_ref_sys table is periodically updated by me in a rather
> complicated process that includes updating libtiff, proj.4, and GDAL with
> up to date definitions.  I have not run it for a while, and it requires
> a fair amount of care.

I was thinking about this for PostGIS the other day, and was wondering if
there was a way unifying this work through spatialreference.org. For
example, would it be possible if spatialreference.org could release a new
version of its database every quarter or so? Then for each PostGIS release
we would just download the latest release of the spatialreference.org
database in PostGIS INSERT format. It would be fairly easy to add the
database release version somewhere in the output of SELECT
postgis_full_version() or similar.

ATB,

Mark.

--