[postgis-users] srid

Markus Schaber schabi at logix-tt.com
Mon May 26 12:01:18 PDT 2008

Hi, Chris,

Chris Hermansen <chris.hermansen at timberline.ca> wrote:

> In theory, I guess, this means you could have a separate / distinct SRID
> for each row of geometry, though I have to say I've never tried.

PostGIS technically saves the SRID as part of each individual geometry.

The OpenGIS standard mandates that all geometries in a single table
column have equal SRIDs, and that the geometry_columns table contains
the information which SRID that is. But PostGIS itsself can be used
more freely, dropping OpenGIS conformance however.

Regards,
Markus

www.nosoftwarepatents.org