[postgis-users] SRID and EPSG

Andy Anderson aanderson at amherst.edu
Mon May 26 15:34:10 PDT 2008

On May 26, 2008, at 3:04 PM, Markus Schaber wrote:
> The EPSG database contains a rather complex relational structure of
> different tables describing reference systems, projections etc.
>
> This relationals tructure was originally delivered as access file, but
> additional delivery formats (like PostgreSQL SQL dump) have been
> added.
>
> The PostGIS spatial_ref_sys table itsself contains a "flattened" view
> of some aspects of that relational model.
>
> So the EPSG database cannot be loaded as spatial_ref_sys table, but
> maybe an automatic conversion process could be developed.

Might it be useful to implement that relational table in PostGIS,
along with functions that combine them to build a spatial reference?
This might make it more usable in situations where you want to build
your own (give me the WGS 84 datum, a Lambert conformal conic with
such-and-such standard parallels, and a coordinate origin at this
point). Or is that just too uncommon and complicated for most users?

The current SRID table would still exist but be built at install time,
of course.

-- Andy