[postgis-users] How to store coordinates correctly

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Tue May 27 07:53:07 PDT 2008

What you are looking for is a POINT or MULTIPOINT geometry type.  This needs to be stored as decimal degrees, so yes, you should convert it from "Degrees,Minutes,Seconds" before putting it into the table.

Chapter 4 in the docs has a good example along with data and insert statements that should prove to be quite illuminating.

Robert W. Burgholzer

Surface Water Modeler

Office of Water Supply and Planning

rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov