[postgis-users] Roadmap for next major release of PostGIS

Attila Csipa plists at prometheus.org.yu
Fri May 30 03:09:51 PDT 2008

On Thursday 29 May 2008 10.34:26 Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
> I'd say this is more of an error of the part of the Ubuntu packagers -
> GEOS 3 had previously been at RC stage for nearly a year, and the final
> release was back in December last year. In fact, it appears that the
> Ubuntu packagers even went as far as making PostGIS an exception to the
> feature freeze because of its importance:

Note that postgis and postgresql were already in the debian repositories, and
FWICS had no issues compiling/going for a straight transplant into Ubuntu.
Geos 3 OTOH got into Debian unstable mid-March and into testing a month
later. So if the Ubuntu packagers wanted to include it, they would have
needed to do their own packaging, testing, qa, etc, and not just a simple(r)
copy/rebuild from Debian like with postgresql/postgis. Not sure if they would
make an exception like the one mentioned up there, especially considering the
LTS status of 8.04. I'm not saying Ubuntu packagers rely exclusively on
Debian experience with packages, but there is a level of trust and feedback
so it's much easier/quicker to get a package into Ubuntu if it has a history
with Debian than push it in as an independent package.