[postgis-users] Re: GeometryCollection Intersection

Martin Davis mbdavis at refractions.net
Fri May 30 08:46:02 PDT 2008

Yes, that's correct, the geometry relationship predicates are not
available for GeometryCollections.  The reason for this is that because
GC's have very loose semantics (e.g. polygons can cross one another
being the main one) it's not possible to robustly & exactly evaluate
some predicates in certain situations.

I guess intersection can always be evaluated correctly, however.  With
the new work on prepared geometry, we perhaps could look at widening the
scope a bit. (This might even be supported right now - I can't remember
offhand).

--
Martin Davis
Senior Technical Architect