[postgis-users] Indices for ST_distance_sphere

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Tue Oct 14 17:40:50 PDT 2008

If you're in a planar projection, then

select * from footable where st_dwithin(the_geom, 'POINT(foo bar)', DISTANCE)

will return based on an indexed search for arbitrary foo and bar. You
need to be in a planar projection so the spatial index works in the
same cartesian domain as the distance calculation.

Every planar projection introduces distance/area distortion, the
question is "do you care". Is it big enough to be concerned about,
given your use case.  Variance of +/- 1cm in questions that are need
10m accuracy aren't important.

P.