[postgis-users] Roeck test

Burgholzer,Robert rwburgholzer at deq.virginia.gov
Mon Oct 27 06:11:57 PDT 2008

Would the following work (if max_distance were available, which it is
not in my distro)??:

SELECT ST_Buffer(centroid(the_geom), max_distance(centroid(the_geom),
the_geom) as bounding_circle ;

This assumes the following:
1. The Roeck test is essentially the "bounding circle" of a geometry
2. The centroid is the center of mass
3. the furtherest point from the center of mass will be enclosed by a
circle of radius equal to the distance from said point to the center
4. The max_distance function would work with points and multi-polygons

Thinking about a "bounding circle" makes me wonder: is this a useful
concept for geometric indexing?  Could this be used in conjunction with
the bounding box to create a more refined, quick and dirty bounding box
containment index?  In other words, if using the && operator essentially
throws out (or includes if NOT'ed) points outside a bounding box, would
it be computationally efficient to do something like a comparison to a
circle on the objects centroid?  In essence, all you would have to query
would be the centroid, and radius of the spheres, like (in pseudo-code):

If (distance(c1, c2) <= (r1 + r2)) then circles_overlap = true;
# where r1 and r2 are the radii of the two bounding circles, and c1 and
c2 are their centroids

With this simple comparison (maybe not so simple computationally, I
dunno), we could cut out a good deal of the blank space in the "corners"
of the bounding box.

Anyone?

Robert W. Burgholzer
Surface Water Modeler