[postgis-users] Using ST_<function> (doesn't work)

lisek lichu lisek.lichu at gmail.com
Fri Oct 31 09:54:28 PDT 2008

Hello,

For last week i tried to find why i can't use ST_ function.
I have installed PostgreSQL 8.2 version and PostGIS 1.3.3 version

select version();
PostgreSQL 8.2.10 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe (GCC)
3.4.2 (mingw-special)

select postgis_version();
1.3 USE_GEOS=1 USE_PROJ=1 USE_STATS=1

and when i try to do query like this:

select ST_distance(the_geom_wgs84,'POINT(-8.65634368524285
41.1614078251516)') from axes where gid = 7;

i get response like:

No function matches the given name and argument types. You may need to
add explicit type casts.

I tried to find some answers but found only digfferences between
ST_funcion and function but no information about what to do to turn
them on. If i use normal old function it works but if I add ST_ prefix
it doesn't. I thik i have new version of PostgreSQL and PostGIS.

Can somebody tell me why it hapend like that??