[postgis-users] Re: Polygon and north pole

Jørn Vegard Røsnes jorn at spacetec.no
Wed Sep 3 04:00:41 PDT 2008

On Tuesday 17 July 2007 17:23:34 Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Jørn Vegard Røsnes wrote:
> > If I utilize the PostGIS transform function to transform the search
> > polygon to a (polar) stereographic geometry (SRID 32661) and execute
> > spatial queries to match the product geometries in (polar) stereographic.
> >
> > Will PostGIS then use the "stereographic space", not the planar/Euclidean
> > space?
>
> Yes, but that all your data that is *not* at the poles will be
> problematic... certainly you won't be able to do two poles at once.  If
> you have truly global data (few do, but you could be one of them) then a
> truly global system is required.  We are proposing a "geography" type
> for full geodetic support, but looking for funders as it is not a
> trivial quantity of work.

Hi,
I've searched the mailinglist briefly, but couldn't find news about geodetic
implementation.

Are there some news about this item, unreported or reported?

One more question (from a rookie of this subject).
Are we talking about implementing ECEF support, or something else, to get full
geodetic support in PostGIS?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECEF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodetic_system

kind regards