[postgis-users] ArcGIS Mobile slightly off-topic question

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Sep 16 19:50:24 PDT 2008

Sorry if my terminology is off here.

In one of the projects I'm working on,  we are sending out surveyors into
the field with Mobile ArcPad devices (I think using ArcGIS 9.3 ArcPad
Mobile) equiped with cameras (I forget the  exact device - I think its
called Trimble or something like that, but don't hold me to that)  -  I'll
have to double-check on that if its important to know.

Anyrate steps ideally

1) I dump out the data to geodatabase format which is required by the arcpad
synch thing.  I was hoping to use OGR2OGR for this, but the OGR driver only
has read capability for ESRI Personal geodatabase format, not write
capability and evidentally ArcPad Mobile can only deal with personal
geodatabase format (or do they have that new sql server express format too
(adf or whatever the extension is? I forget since this was started in 9.2
before I think that format was supported).

So right now I am dumping to esri shape which is loaded into an ArcGIS
personal database using Arc whatever in steps that are a little less than
brain-dead.  Luckily I think this only needs to be done once or twice a week
as opposed to step 2 which probably will need to be done daily.

Does anyone know how to do this.  Supposedly ArcGIS has python libraries for
reading and I think writing to Perosnal GeoDatabase which sound like they
can pull this off, but never used those and I'm pretty green as far as
Python goes though I'm quite happy to brush up my python skills.

Any chance anyone has used any of these python libraries and has some code
they wouldn't mind sharing or has other ideas for doing this.

2) When the data comes back from the field, this gets synched up using
ArcPad or is it ArcCatalog (Arc whatever) I think - pictures are dumped into
a folder which I think I can  happily pick up, data is dumped into a geo
database which I think I can happily read and reimport back in to their
inventory database.

Thanks,
Regina