[postgis-users] TIN support yes or no?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Sat Sep 20 09:44:54 PDT 2008

PostGIS supports neither the creation nor the storage of TINs.

The latter (storage) is easier than the former, and there is a patch
extant which supplied and X3D mesh type, but it just creates one big
serialized mesh object, and I have a hard time reconciling that to the
real use-case needs of TIN-in-database (really large, region-spanning,
billion-face TINs).

It is easy to build a relational model for TIN on the current SFS
primitives, but you would still be left with the problem of building
and loading your TIN, and then, well, using it for something useful.

P.