[postgis-users] Re: Restoring db with indexes using PostGIS functions

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Tue Sep 30 13:56:55 PDT 2008

Mike,

I'm a bit puzzled about your problem.  Are you saying that you use multiple
schemas for tables and have your postgis functions in public and when you
restore your indexes
they are not being created because of the search path thing.  I use multiple
table schemas too and as far as I can remember all my spatial constraints
and indexes come back and I don't see any prefixing of public in the
functions.

Although sounds like you are dumping to sql format and I always dump to
compressed format.  Perhaps they behave differently.

Is it just your indexes that are missing or the constraints as well?  Your
indexes seem a little out of the ordinary, but I would expect you would have
the same issue
With postgis generated constraints.  Do your table indexes actually show
without the schema qualification on them when you look at them.

Mine always show as
CREATE INDEX sometable_idx
  ON someschema.sometable
USING btree
  (ST_GeometryType(the_geom));

But then again I always explicitly put in the schema prefix when creating
indexes.  How would you be able to create the indexes otherwise unless you
are setting the search path before you create your indexes

Set search_path = schemaname
CREATE INDEX ... ON sometable

Is that how you create your indexes or do you explicitly reference the table
schema name in the CREATE?

Hope that helps,
Regina