[postgis-users] Calculating Attributes

George Silva georger.silva at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 09:22:51 PDT 2009

Hello Aurora,

In ArcGIS it's all different. In PostGIS you can use simple/complex SQL
queries to "calculate values" in a similar fashion of arcgis.

The simplest of them all would be, in your case:

ALTER TABLE table1 ADD COLUMN area_column double precision;
UPDATE table1 SET area_column = ST_AREA(the_geom);

You can in that SQL query divide, multiply, and do whatever you want with
that result that will be written to the column area_column.

I hope that helps

George

On Fri, Apr 3, 2009 at 12:55 PM, Aurora Geomatics <aurorageomatics at gmail.com