[postgis-users] Help! Calculating distance

Birgit Laggner birgit.laggner at vti.bund.de
Tue Apr 7 03:52:31 PDT 2009

Hi Zia,

my guess would be:

select
points.point_ID,
min(st_distance(highway.the_geom, points.the_geom)),
min(st_distance(stream.the_geom, points.the_geom)),
min(st_distance(mining_side.the_geom, points.the_geom))
from points, highway, stream, mining_side
group by points.point_ID;

but this might take some time - perhaps someone smarter than me has a
better idea ...

Regards,

Birgit.

Zia Ahmed schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I have point file (> 45, 000 points)  containing information of soil
> properties, I want  to calculate euclidean distance from nearest
> highway  (line-file), stream (line-file) and mining side (point and
> polygon file). Can I do this  in PostGIS?
>
> Zia

Dipl.-Geoökol. Birgit Laggner

Johann Heinrich von Thünen-Institut,
Bundesinstitut für Ländliche Räume, Wald und Fischerei
Institut für Ländliche Räume
Bundesallee 50
38116 Braunschweig

Johann Heinrich von Thünen-Institute
Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries
Institute of Rural Areas
Bundesallee 50
D-38116 Braunschweig
Germany