[postgis-users] newbie question about non closed rings

Obe, Regina robe.dnd at cityofboston.gov
Fri Apr 17 03:52:24 PDT 2009

> Mark Cave-Ayland,
> I forget were we planning on making this a switch option in later
versions
> of PostGIS?  So that you could bring in polygons with unclosed rings
and fix
> them in the db?

> Well the result of the earlier investigation showed that having a
switch
> will just cause more problems than it will solve so this isn't going
> work :(

Mark,
Is it possible to create a ST_GeomNoCheck(...) or something function
that doesn't do quite so much checking so that at least during loading
we can give people the option to use that one instead of just rejecting
what we don't like.

I like the idea of checking, but think its important to allow people to
shoot themselves in the foot too if they are experienced foot shooters
or really want to :)