[postgis-users] [From Oracle Spatial to PostGIS] How to store rectangles?

Mulone andrea.ballatore at ucdconnect.ie
Sun Apr 26 14:19:38 PDT 2009

Hi guys,
I'm porting an application from Oracle Spatial to PostGIS.
In particular I've come across this code in an INSERT statment:

SDO_CS.VIEWPORT_TRANSFORM(
MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY(2003,NULL,NULL,MDSYS.SDO_ELEM_INFO_ARRAY(1,1003,3) --
rectangle
,MDSYS.SDO_ORDINATE_ARRAY("+topleftlat+", "+topleftlon+",
"+bottomrightlat+", "+bottomrightlon+")),null)

I understand this loads a rectangle in 2 points.
I've written this postGIS code:

GeomFromText('POLYGON("+topleftlat+" "+topleftlon+" "+bottomrightlat+"
"+bottomrightlon+"))', -1)

Obviously it doesn't work yet. Is this the right direction? Is there a way
to store rectangles in postGIS in a similar fashion?

Thanks,
Mulone