[postgis-users] long time for finding objects

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Wed Apr 29 07:51:03 PDT 2009

Well, the second or third time you run your slow query, I'd hope it
would be fast, if only because everything is getting pulled into cache
by then. In general, you are doing 81 large object operations, since
your binaries are well over the page size.

3 seconds does sound slow for pulling 81 of anything, although if
you're testing with a terminal or a client, a good deal of the time
could be writing the output into the UI, rather than the actual fetch.
Wrapping the large objects in functions that summarize them will give
you a better feel for the true speed (e.g., instead of pulling geom,
pull st_area(geom), instead of pulling bytea, pull length(bytea).