[postgis-users] ST_Union (8.4) and TopologyException

Robert Coup robert.coup at onetrackmind.co.nz
Tue Aug 4 18:34:36 PDT 2009

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Simon Greener
<simon at spatialdbadvisor.com>wrote:

> I have had to use ST_Transform as I have found the query even more
> problematic when run against the original geodetic data.

Projections are a very likely cause of topology errors for accurate data...
how was it more problematic for geodetic data - more topology errors?

Does:

SELECT count(*) FROM mytable WHERE (geom IS NOT NULL) AND (NOT
st_isvalid(st_transform(geom,
96687)));

return anything for either of the tables?

Rob :)