[postgis-users] PostGIS on Solaris 10

Mark Cave-Ayland mark.cave-ayland at siriusit.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 02:51:38 PDT 2009

Thurber, Fred wrote:

> There is no good reason that we have to use 0.9 on Solaris 10, it is
> just what we got and developed against when we installed PostgreSQL 8.0.
> A current version would be fine, but the big issue is getting it on
> Solaris 10.
>
>  From what I have been able to gather, I have to compile the PostGIS
> source on Solaris 10 first. Is there no better way? I did not see
> anything on Blastwave…

I have no idea who (if anyone?) maintains binary packages for Solaris
10, however the general vibe is that building things on Solaris 10+ is
considerably easier than on Solaris 9 and earlier.

Building packages from source is not hard at all once you have the
development packages installed, and the 1.4 documentation has been
revised to make things even easier.

At the end of the day, it will cause you less stress in the long run to
build your own newer version of PostGIS than to work with such an old
version containing many bugs which will never be fixed.

> I may have to port our queries to PostgreSQL geometric box types, ugh.

Not a particularly sensible idea - no support for OGC functions, no
index selectivity and no support within GIS tools are 3 extremely strong
arguments for not doing this.

ATB,

Mark.

PostgreSQL - PostGIS