[postgis-users] how to create ouline of multiple objects

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Thu Aug 13 11:54:01 PDT 2009

Ge,

What do you mean by outline of all objects?  You mean  if you have a bunch
of polygons you just want one record with all boundaries dissolved?

Maybe you are looking for ST_Union

SELECT ST_Union(the_geom)
FROM sometable

That will dissolve boundaries.
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ST_Union.html

or you mean you have a polygon and you want the linestring outline.

For that use ST_Boundary(the_geom) or ST_ExteriorRing
http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ST_Boundary.html

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-svn/ST_ExteriorRing.html

Leo