[postgis-users] 1.3 to 1.4 upgrade

Matt Foster Matthew.Foster at noaa.gov
Thu Aug 20 09:06:26 PDT 2009

Hello,

I'm moving some Postgis databases to a new physical server.  I decided
to use this opportunity to move from Postgis 1.3 to 1.4.  I'm also going
from Postgres 8.2 to 8.3 (I'm not brave enough to go to the brand new PG
8.4!).

I concluded that the right thing to do was to use the "Hard Upgrade"
method to make this move.  When I ran the upgrade Perl script to restore
the dump on to the new server, I got the following error messages...

ERROR:  language "plpgsql" already exists
ERROR:  function st_histogram2d_in(cstring) does not exist
ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom": No such file or directory
ERROR:  function public.asukml(geometry, integer, integer) does not exist
ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom": No such file or directory
ERROR:  function public.asukml(geometry, integer) does not exist
ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom": No such file or directory
ERROR:  function public.asukml(geometry) does not exist
ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom": No such file or directory
ERROR:  function public.st_asukml(geometry, integer, integer) does not exist
ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom": No such file or directory
ERROR:  function public.st_asukml(geometry, integer) does not exist
ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom": No such file or directory
ERROR:  function public.st_asukml(geometry) does not exist
ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom": No such file or directory
ERROR:  function public.st_text(boolean) does not exist
ERROR:  could not access file "$libdir/liblwgeom": No such file or directory
ERROR:  function public.text(boolean) does not exist

Following the documentation, I grep'd for ^KEEPING in the log file I
created, and found these entries...

KEEPING TYPE [histogram2d]
KEEPING TYPE [histogram2d]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [askml(geometry, integer, integer)]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [asukml(geometry, integer, integer)]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [asukml(geometry, integer)]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [asukml(geometry)]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [st_askml(geometry, integer, integer)]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [st_asukml(geometry, integer, integer)]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [st_asukml(geometry, integer)]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [st_asukml(geometry)]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [st_text(bool)]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [text(bool)]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [update_geometry_stats()]
KEEPING FUNCTION: [update_geometry_stats(character varying, character
varying)]
KEEPING AGGREGATE [geomunion(geometry)]

Are these messages normal or are they indicating a problem?  Some
searching of the mailing list archive led me to believe that they are
normal, but I would like to be sure before I proceed with the other
databases.

Matt

--
Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson