[postgis-users] DB and file organization best practices

dassouki dassouki at gmail.com
Wed Aug 26 12:20:58 PDT 2009

Hey all,

I'm in the process of moving all my data to a new server. I was wondering:

    * How do you organize your GIS projects?
          o DB Structure:
                + Right now, what I do is I have a main GIS db
                  containing GIS layers and another db containing data
                  that I can join to the geometry. I find that this
                  structure uses less storage space, but not as
                  organized to one DB per project.
          o Folder Structure:
                + I usually follow this structure:
                  /gis/projects/project_ID_D_M_Y .. with sub folders:
                  documents, input data, used queries (Sql files),
                  output data, emails, research, final output, and legal
                + Is there a management solution (software or technique)
                  that you would recommend?
          o Backups
                + What do you recommend to backing up PostGIS data? How
                  often do you do it?
                + I back up every project on a cd with all the data
                  exported as shp sql files, any better suggestions?
          o General Organization
                + Any other tips, not necessarily PostGIS related, that
                  make your GIS life easier?
                      # I found that two 20 inch monitors really helped
                        as well as a new stick of ram.

I look forward to reading your responses,
Dasouki