[postgis-users] points from st_distance

Paragon Corporation lr at pcorp.us
Wed Feb 11 08:26:53 PST 2009

Nicklas,

You are correct there is no function for doing this.  We have on occasion
needed to do this ourselves and what we usually do is

1) first find the minimum distance
2) figure out which point/pointset on the geometry satisfies the minimum
distance using buffer and intersection (with minimum distance being the
buffer distance).

I think I have the code lying around here somewhere.

As far as ST_Distance goes.  Haven't looked at the code that closely, but it
does some sort of recursive call and there could be more than one point that
satisfies the condition and it only cares about the first one it comes
across so such a thing may or may not be quite what you are looking for.

Hope that helps,
Regina

  _____