[postgis-users] Installing postgis from an NSIS installer

Yves Moisan yves.moisan at boreal-is.com
Tue Feb 17 12:50:43 PST 2009

> You can download a zip-file containing the GPL'd source for the Win32
> installer from here:
> http://pgfoundry.org/frs/?group_id=1000256&release_id=1274. This should
> then answer all your questions :)

Some results.  First, I tried commenting out the sections on checking
the existence of template_postgis but I need a couple more pieces to be
able to build the NSI file on my system.  Is there a location where I
can find all files or do I have to set up mingw and execute the bash
files ?

Anyhow, I manually created template_postgis in pgAdmin just to test the
postGIS installer :

CREATE DATABASE template_postgis
 WITH OWNER = postgres ENCODING = 'WIN1252'

Then when I run the postGIS installer I have the message saying
template_postgis exists (which this time is true) and if I proceed it
will overwrite it, so I go "yes" and it does the delete of the existing
template_postgis object and creates the new one fine.  From then on, the
rest of the postGIS installation runs fine.  Only glitch is that my
newly created template_postgis object now reads :

CREATE DATABASE template_postgis
 WITH OWNER = postgres ENCODING = 'UTF-8'

So there's an encoding problem.  The NSI file mentions Unicode as
encoding ??

To summarize :

- I have found the installer to think template_postgis exists whereas it
does not exist (which causes the installer to crash when it tries to
delete a non-existing object)

- It is not possible to specify an encoding other that UTF-8

If I could easily build the NSI file I could try and play with the
condition that checks the existence of the template_postgis object.

Cheers,

Yves