[postgis-users] Basic question #2 Shapefile (meta?)data columns - to keep or discard

Paul Ramsey pramsey at opengeo.org
Wed Feb 18 16:37:28 PST 2009

Those values are not shapefile values, they are actually arccoverage
values, passed through the conversion process. They might not even be
valid, depending on if the coverage was built and cleaned before being
exported. However, if they are built, they might be handy. You could
use the from/to nodes to do traversals, and you could use the l/rpoly
values to pull edges of contained area and build polygons with
ST_Buildarea.

There's not a huge benefit to dropping data "just because".

P.