[postgis-users] The Old Who is using PostGIS survey again?

Marc Jansen jansen.marc at gmx.de
Wed Jan 7 02:32:30 PST 2009

Hi list, Hi Regina,

find answers inline.

Bye,
Marc

Paragon Corporation schrieb:
> Leo and I have a good portion of a PostGIS book written.  Ideally we would
> like to get a publisher to publish it, but seem to be running into the same
> obstacles.  No publisher seems to think people use PostGIS to warrant enough
> demand for a book dedicated to it.
>
> So to make a decent case for a book, can each of you in your own words
> describe
>
> 1) How you use PostGIS?

We're mainly using PostGIS to store  geographic data which is later
displayed using UMN Mapserver or Geoserver. We have digitized into
postgis tables, im- and exported shapefiles and have done a lot of
postprocessing using the various spatial functions. We had complex
spatial questions solved through PostGIS. Actually we have been using
any aspect of Postgis except for EWKT- and 3D-related stuff.

> 2) What you find useful about it over anything else?

It's OS, It's "complete", It's extensible, it sits atop Postgres. I
could think that initially we chose PostGIS because of the interaction
with UMN Mapserver. Now it has a great documentation, too and a very
active codebase.

> 3) Why you think there should be any book written focused on its use and of
> course if such a thing were to exist, would you buy it?

PostGIS is surely great and people should know that! I think lots of
people have it in use already. I would love to have deeper understanding
of how to solve spatial problems elegantly and with great perfomance.
Maybe even the internal architecture / Source-Code could be explained
and the components PostGIS works with, too.

I would 100% buy the book!