R: [postgis-users] The Old Who is using PostGIS survey again?

George Silva georger.silva at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 07:16:26 PST 2009

1) How you use PostGIS?

To manage urban streets network and traffic accidents data.

2) What you find useful about it over anything else?

THere are many things. I have a ESRI background, and the ability to wrap multiple functions for analysis is a mega plus (without the need to build dozens of shapefiles). Price is plus too.

Its easy to use. Many times i get myself saying....humn this would be much easier and faster to do in PostGIS.

3)Book issue

I think is really important to have good material published. it would facilitate the adoption of PostGIS by other users, increase the level of "trustness" of the software, and open new doors to FOSS4G. yes i would buy it and encourage lots of people to do the same thing. The crucial thing that i see missing in postgis documentation are good examples. I know its really hard to write documentation, but a more detailed introduction on how to import shapefiles, create the spatial columns and related issues are very important to beginners.

Thats pretty much it. I would love to see a PostGIS book in the stores and definitvely would buy it.

George