[postgis-users] Re: The Old Who is using PostGIS survey again?

Reid Priedhorsky reid at umn.edu
Fri Jan 9 14:55:03 PST 2009

On 12/30/2008 06:21 AM, Paragon Corporation wrote:

> Leo and I have a good portion of a PostGIS book written.  Ideally we would
> like to get a publisher to publish it, but seem to be running into the same
> obstacles.  No publisher seems to think people use PostGIS to warrant enough
> demand for a book dedicated to it.
>
> So to make a decent case for a book, can each of you in your own words
> describe
>
> 1) How you use PostGIS?

We use it as the data store for a geographic wiki for bicyclists,
Cyclopath. http://cyclopath.org

> 2) What you find useful about it over anything else?

We needed a robust SQL datastore for our geographic and non-geographic
data. There's simply no other OSS alternatives. But even if there were,
it does what we ask it to, and well.

> 3) Why you think there should be any book written focused on its use and of
> course if such a thing were to exist, would you buy it?

A book is a great way to condense the community's knowledge into an
easily-accessible form. We would buy it.

Reid